Before the village of Brighton was incorporated on January 1, 1859; Prince Edward Street was the dividing line between Cramahe and Brighton Township. In 1857 the village was formed by taking a combined area of 2600 acres of the two townships. The inaugural meeting of the “Municipality of the Village of Brighton” was held January 1st 1959. (“They desired a better country” by J.W.D. Broughton)
On December 1st 1980 Brighton became a town. November 21, 1980 the “Village of Brighton council” held their final meeting. One of the things discussed in that meeting was the salary of the Mayor, a first in the History of Brighton.
On January 1st 2001 Brighton town amalgamated with Brighton Township and formed the current Municipality of Brighton.
This Blog is about